The Kalo Shop was founded in 1900 in Park Ridge, Illinois, by 32-year old Clara P. Barck, who named it after the Greek word for beauty. She initially produced textiles and leatherwork, but in 1905 when Barck married a coal merchant and amateur silversmith named George Welles, the Kalo Shop began making the hand wrought copper and silver items for which it is best known. In 1914 Clara Welles moved the Shop to downtown Chicago, and opened a branch store in New York which remained in operation for just four years. In 1959 Welles turned operation of the Shop over to four of her craftsmen, and in 1970 she closed the store for good.
The Kalo Shop produced hand wrought flatware, holloware and jewelry, and trained or worked with noted Chicago silversmiths such as Julius Randahl, Grant Wood, Esther Meacham, Matthias Hanck, Falick Novick, Heinrich Eicher, and Emery Todd. They mostly marketed by word of mouth and had a very loyal clientele. When someone in Chicago or the Midwest was thinking about purchasing a handmade tea set or tray, people would tell them to go to the Kalo Shop.
This wonderful wine glass, circa 1930's, spells simple elegance. The graceful turned-out lip of the bowl, long slender stem and round, slightly convex base is a pleasure to behold. The beautiful, aged patina has a iridescent glow and alligator-ed effect caused by the delicate hand wrought angles. The piece has not been polished for years, if ever. The wine measures 5 1/2" in height, 2 3/4" across the top and 2 3/8" across the base. It is stamped "Sterling - Hand Wrought At The Kalo Shop - R 819". Weight is 4.285 ounces. There are three identical wines available for sale. You may purchase one, two or three. Pieces of art from the most well known Arts & Crafts Silver Studio of the 1900's.