Pickard, Inc., the premier Chicago decorating studio was founded by Wilder A. Pickard, who was born on a farm near Sun Prairie, Wisconsin. His first studio was located in Edgerton, Wisconsin, and soon was relocated to Chicago where it still exists today. The largest and most famous decorating Chicago studio, Pickard attracted the best of the best artists of the time.
This lovely hand painted milk pitcher, circa 1905-1910, is decorated with ripe gooseberries hanging in clusters from leaf laden vines which presents a striking contrast against the colorful leaves in shades of dark, medium and light green with tan highlights. The rim portion is decorated in gold with additional tracery of flowers and leaves. The handle and base is also gold enamel.
The pitcher measures 5 1/2" in height, 8" from spout-to-handle and 3 3/4" across the base. It is stamped "D & Co. France", which is for Delinieres & Co., Limoges, France, circa 1894-1900. The Pickard Studio Mark#5, 13/32" brown decal, 1905 -1910. This was the first mark used at the Ravenswood Studio. The pitcher is artist signed "F. W." for Frederick Walters who worked for Pickard from 1903-1918. The pitcher has no cracks, chips or repairs; several tiny dark marks from rubbing against other china items in a cabinet and some very minor gold wear on the rim. Great piece.