The Fenton Art Glass Company was founded in 1905 by brothers Frank L. Fenton and John W. Fenton in an old glass factory in Martins Ferry, Ohio. Originally, they painted glass blanks from other glass makers, but started making their own glass when they became able to buy the materials they needed. They moved across the Ohio river to Williamstown, West Virginia, and built a factory in 1906. The first year for glass production was 1907.
This lovely bowl in the Stag and Holly pattern is well known and was first made in carnival glass in 1912. The pattern reappears later in other Fenton glass colors. including transparent green first made in the early 1920's and continuing through the late 1930's. This bowl, pattern #1608, was introduced in 1932. The bowl measures 10" across, 4" in height and stands on three ball-type feet. The pattern consists of four standing stags with full rack separated by four branches of holly leaves and berries. The center is a leaf design. The exterior is a smooth plain panel motif. There are no cracks, chips or repairs.