The Fenton Art Glass Company was founded in 1905 by brothers Frank L. Fenton and John W. Fenton in an old glass factory in Martins Ferry, Ohio. Originally, they painted glass blanks from other glass makers, but started making their own glass when they became able to buy the materials they needed. They moved across the Ohio river to Williamstown, West Virginia, and built a factory in 1906. The first year for glass production was 1907.
Fenton began its long romance with the Hobnail pattern in 1935. To make hobnail pieces, the glass was blown or pressed into a mold; each 'hobnail' shows in the mold as a deep dimple, which becomes he raised part of the finished product. Over thirty colors were produced from 1935-1980.
This wonderful "Topaz Opalescent" color was introduced in 1941 and discontinued at the end of 1943; the color again became part of the Fenton line from 1959 through 1962. It is described as 'transparent yellow with opalescent hobs', now referred to as Vaseline Opalescent. The vase measures 8" in height, 10 1/4" in length, 3 1/4" across and rests on a 4" round base. There are no cracks, chips or repairs. Lovely size, form and color.