The Lladro Porcelain company was founded in 1953 by three brothers, Juan, Jose and Vicente Lladro, in the village of Almassera near Valencia. Starting with items such as vases and jugs, it wasn't until 1956 that they started producing the sculptures for which they are now most famous. Enthusiasm for the items produced by the Lladro brothers saw their small workshop expand several times until eventually they moved to Tavernes Blanques in 1958.
Among their wide variety of quality sculptures are lovely figurines portraying brides and grooms. This particular sculpture is of a classic bride and groom on their wedding day. The figurine was sculptured by Juan Huerta, introduced in 1982, retired in 1998. Titled "Wedding" it is "Boda Arrogante" in Spanish.
The bride's elegant white gown flows gently with embossed lace inserts and adornments. Her hip length veil is attached to a delicate floral headpiece. She wears arm-length white gloves while in her left hand she clutches a lovely floral nosegay. The groom is quite dapper in medium gray swallow-tail coat with lighter gray slacks, vest and ascot tie. In his right hand he holds his formal top hat and his left a pair of white gloves.
The figurine measures 12 1/4" in height and rest on a base measuring 6 1/2" in length and 3 1/2" in width. Stamped in dark blue with the fifth Lladro mark which featured the famous Lladro bellflower and "Lladro - Hand Made in Spain" with the copyright acronym "Daisa" as well as several incised marks; circa 1977-1984. The original box is not available. There are no cracks or repairs; the boutonniere on the groom's lapel is missing and there are several tiny pedal chips on the bride's nosegay. The price reflects these damages.
Lladro "Wedding" Porcelain Sculpture #1404