E. Challinor & Co., Fenton Pottery, Fenton, Staffordshire, circa 1853-1862. Subsequently E. & C. Challinor.
This wonderful blue transfer-ware plate is the "Priory" pattern. The term priory is a monastery of men or women under religious vows that is headed by a prior or prioress. Priories first came to existence in Britain in the physical sense as subsidiaries to the Abbey of Cluny. Many new houses were formed that were all subservient to the abbey of Cluny and called Priories. The central scene is a huge castle-like structure surrounded by a stream, trees and garden area which includes several people. The wide border consists of three cartouches showing period architecture, each surrounded by decorative scrolls and separated by a delicate lattice-work background design.
The round plate measures 8 1/2" across. The back-stamp is a decorated shield containing the pattern name "Priory" with "E Challinor & Co." printed beneath. There are no cracks, repairs; several small flakes on outer rims (see photos) and light utensil marks. Wonderful blue transfer-ware piece.