The Lladro Porcelain company was founded in 1953 by three brothers, Juan, Jose and Vicente Lladro, in the village of Almassera near Valencia. Starting with items such as vases and jugs, it wasn't until 1956 that they started producing the sculptures for which they are now most famous. Enthusiasm for the items produced by the Lladro brothers saw their small workshop expand several times until eventually they moved to Tavernes Blanques in 1958.
Among their wide variety of quality sculptures are lovely dog figures. This particular sculpture of a Cocker Spaniel was sculptured by Antonio Ramos, introduced in 1985, retired in the 1994.
The miniature gray and white Cocker Spaniel is lying in a restful curled position with his head resting on crossed front legs. The expression on his face indicates he is ready to play. The figurine measures 3 1/4" in length and 1" in height. Stamped in dark blue with the Lladro logo and "Lladro - Hand Made in Spain - Daisa 1985", as well as several incised marks. The original box is not available. There are no cracks, chips or repairs.