The Warwick China Co. was founded in Wheeling, West Virginia, in 1887 and closed in 1951. The company made porcelain dinnerware sets, semi-porcelain ware, hotel ware, and railroad china. Pieces were hand-painted or decorated with transfers. The helmet and crossed-swords mark was the first mark Warwick used; it was registered in 1905 but had been used for several years prior. Variations of this mark were still being used in the 1940s. Ioga was a line produced by the Warwick Company and consisted of portraits of ladies, indians, monks, flowers and fraternal emblems.
This pair of semi-porcelain plates, circa 1900-1915, each have a different portrait of a monk imbibing some of his favorite beverage. The transfers are both in shades of medium brown; one plate has a background of dark brown to pale creamy yellow; the other has a background of reddish-rust to creamy yellow. Each plate measures 9 3/8" across and are stamped "Ioga" with the company logo. There are no cracks, chips or repairs; some minor wear on dark background colors and overall light crazing.