Amphora was founded in 1882 by Hans and Carl Riesser, Edward Stellmacher and Rudolf Kessel and the company was awarded a prize at the World's Columbian Exposition of 1893. In 1897, the firm began making art pottery vases showing elaborate Art Nouveau designs and was again recognized by awards at the St. Louis World's Fair in 1904. In 1905, the company introduced a new mark to reflect new ownership, that of Riessel and Kessel after Stellmacher's departure. Amphora wares were also sold in the United States by specialist shops including that of Louis Comfort Tiffany in New York, who appreciated the innovative hand crafted designs. Some of the most original and attractive designs were provided by talented students form the Imperial Technical School for Ceramics and Associated Applied Arts (act.1885-1917). The factory was nationalized in 1945.
This fantastic Amphora basket, circa 1905-1910, is in the form of splint woven gathering basket in shades of pastel greenish white with medium moss green accents to the darker moss green handle. Sitting on the edge of the basket are the sculptures of a young girl with arm outstretched arm and hand holding feed for the two baby chicks at the opposite end of the basket. The figures are soft light to darker tan, rusty brown, dark brown and rose-violet shades all in a matt bisque finish.
The basket w/figures measures 10" in length, 7 1/2" in width, and 6 1/2" in height. The five impressed marks on the base which are rather faint are as follows. "Crown" mark, circa 1892-1910; "Imperial Amphora Turn" circular mark, circa 1903-1918; "Amphora" oval mark, circa 1905-1910; "Austria" oval mark, circa 1905-1910 and model number "1475". There are no cracks, chips or repairs. The form will melt your heart.
8 other shoppers have this item in their Cart or Wish List
Bry's Antiques, an "ADOPTION AGENCY" for ANTIQUE & VINTAGE items to enjoy or give as gifts.
Fine Antiques & Vintage Items Always Being Added For Your Shopping Pleasure. Serious Offers Considered