G.L. Ashworth & Bros (Ltd.), Broad Street, Hanley, Staffordshire potteries, circa 1862-1968, produced earthen-wares, ironstone and other ceramic wares.
George Ashworth became a partner of Francis Morley at Broad Street in 1859 but subsequently took over the works in his own right later taking his brothers into the firm. Most famous for their reproductions of Masons Ironstones which they started producing after purchasing the moulds and copperplates of that famous company when Charles James Mason closed his works at Lane Delph in 1858. They also continued Morleys work and produced some fine new patterns in ironstone
This wonderful Chinese-style motif was produced with many variations by several ironstone manufacturers from the mid 19th to the early 20th century. It has affinities with the famous Willow pattern (eg. the two loves birds) and is often known as "Coloured Willow. The Ashworth Bros. version was produced in two different patterns, B1365 and B9447. This particular piece is the B1365 pattern, circa 1865. It incorporates a myriad of applied colors, dark green, light green, blue-green, reddish-pink, burnt- orange, mustard and peach over the under-glaze transfer design to create a wonderful polychrome contrast against the white background. The pitcher stands 6 1/2" in height and 5" from spout-to-handle. Impressed with "wo" which is a portion of the Ashworth Bros. impressed mark. There are no cracks, chips or repairs. Fantastic color and intricate design.