Founded in 1886 by John E F Zeh, Frederick Ebeling and Theodore Reuss, the firm operated from Philadelphia and later relocated to Devon and then to Allentown, Pennsylvania. Ebeling and Reuss (E&R) was distributor and importer to shops in the North Eastern United States region. The company's import volume peaked in the late 1940's/1950's, importing products from many German and Austria factories.
This wonderful reclining figure of a reclining German Shepherd, circa 1950's, is decorated in shades of rich browns and tans. The figurine measures 9 1/2" in length and 5 1/2" in height. It is stamped 2539 and marked with a black and silver foil label "Golden Crown - E & R - Austria". The design and form is very similar to German Shepherds designed by Rudolf Chocholka for Wien Keramos, Vienna, Austria, and could be a special form created for E & R.
Ebeling & Reuss (E & R) "German Shepherd" Figurine #2539