The Watson & Newell Co. Attleboro, Massachusetts, was a major manufacturer of sterling silver flat-ware, souvenir spoons, vanity items and novelties. Founded by Clarence L Watson and Fred A Newell in 1880, it continued until 1955.
The term filigree is derived from the Italian word filigrana, which is originally from the Latin word filum, meaning a thread of wire and graum, meaning a grain or bead. Various American silversmiths produced filigree decorated flatware during the late 1800's, the Watson & Newell Co. was included within this group.
This lovely souvenir spoon, circa 1900, has a wonderful pierced filigree, hand-decorated handle with beaded edge and gold washed bowl. The piece measures 5" in length with the bowl engraved 'Eltoi - 20th District School No 2 - 1899'. It is marked 'Sterling' and the insignia 'H within a pennant' designating the Mechanics Sterling Co. which was a subsidiary of the Watson & Newell Co. Wonderful condition with no filigree damage; some minor wear on the gold wash.