Charles Field Haviland started a small decorating studio in 1859. In 1870 a porcelain manufacturing company was established. Upon his retirement in 1881 the company was taken over by Gerard, Dufraisseix and Morel. The various Haviland companies sold undecorated white-ware to outside decorating companies and smaller studios.
This beautiful CFH/GDM bowl, circa 1890's, decorated in a home-studio environment, is hand-painted with exquisite red and yellow nasturtiums and shaded green stems and leaves. The rim with two graceful cut-handles is gold trimmed. The bowl measures 9 1/2" across and 2" in depth.
The bowl is stamped in green "CFH over GDM over France". This is mark C-4 which was used from 1891 - 1900. There are no cracks, chips, utensil marks or repairs. The enamel is excellent with some minor age-related wear to the gold trim. Great piece of early Haviland.