This lovely plate was produced by Wedgwood exclusively for Charles Schwartz & Son in Washington D. C. as part of the Federal City collection. This plate is the fourth in the four piece set. The plate depicts a frontal view of the Supreme Court Building, complete with American eagle and two flower boughs on the lower right and left edges of the plate. The back has the manufacturer information along with a brief history of the Supreme Court, which is as follows: "The Supreme Court first met in New York City in 1790, moved to Philadelphia a year later, and then to Washington in 1801, where the Justices, six at that time, shared crowded quarters with Congress in the partially completed Capitol. Chief Justice Taft persuaded Congress to appropriate the funds for this worthy permanent home for the Nation's highest tribunal. Completed in 1935, it is considered the most perfect example of classic Greek architecture in Washington." This highly collectible plate is a must have for any Wedgwood collector or any historian.
D: 10 ½ in (26.7 cm)