Rare 19" Closed-Mouth Paris Bébé - Size 8
By Danel et. Cie
Hard to Find - Before Jumeau Lawsuit Shut Them Down*
Large Paperweight Eyes
Body Stamped with Eiffel Tower Emblem
Original Antique Doll - Made in France c.1891
[ FEATURES AND DETAILS... ]
Such a sweet 19" Paris Bébé #8, with a gorgeous soft facial expression, closed mouth, lovely lips, delicately feathered eyebrows, large dreamy brown paperweight eyes, and pale bisque of the finest quality with excellent painting!
She is incised on the back of the neck: "PARIS BEBE / TETE DEPee / 8" and she has the distinctive Eiffel Tower stamp of Danel et Cie. on her body.
*Danel et Cie. and the Court Battle:
According to historical sources online, "After his departure from the Jumeau Company, Anatole Danel partnered with three other men and formed Danel et Cie. On October 21, 1889, they registered the trade name “Paris Bebe.” Jumeau had been quiet about his competitor until now. But the obvious similarities between the bebes of the two companies irritated the partners at Jumeau, who spotted a French copy of a Bebe Jumeau immediately. At first they filed a complaint that Danel had stolen molds from his factory, but their case was thrown out due to lack of evidence. Then Jumeau decided to bring suit for unfair competition before the Commerce Tribunal. At the end of the trial, justice was served. The courts ordered the destruction of molds, models, and tools involved in the production of “Paris Bebe.” This decision led to the termination of Danel et Cie on March 29, 1892, and the disappearance of Anatole Danel from the Paris scene."
Her facial expression is cute and childlike. She has a very pretty soft light brown human hair wig on cork pate and her original body. I do believe the paint is all original (though I'm not an expert in that field).
She is wearing a fantastically sewn costume, tagged by the artist (see photo), with matching hat.
A rare treasure of a French Bébé! What more could a girl want?
[ CONDITION DETAILS ]
- Beautiful antique condition.
- No issues discovered with the bisque after careful examination.
- The cork pate was attached with a bit of adhesive by a previous owner. I have not detached it, so as not to cause any damage. Since she has paperweight eyes (not sleep eyes), the head will not be stuffed for shipping. If you are concerned about this, please let me know and I will be glad to remove the pate and stuff the head ... but please understand that there might be some flaking of the cork in that case.
- The outfit is in wonderful condition.
- Her body has the hint of some paint chipping, same as what you so often see with Jumeaus of this period. ALSO, both thighs appear to have split and been repaired. (The splits were clean, and the repairs well executed.) This is also not uncommon, because the thighs are relatively thin and hollow, and the pressure of the internal spring in the joint would cause them to split. All is stabilized now. See final photo.
As with all my listings (unless explicitly stated otherwise), this comes from a NON-smoking environment.
Please SUPERSIZE all photos for a full picture of this lovely doll lot's condition.
[ IMPORTANT! - MORE ABOUT CONDITION ]
Besides the noteworthy issues mentioned above, EXPECT any antique doll (bisque/composition/leather/china/wood) to ALSO have:
(1) SIGNS OF AGE - for example: toned/crazed/chipped composition, minor wig pulls, loss of "hair" lashes on bisque heads (if they had them), not-so-tight stringing, etc., and
(2) MINOR CONSERVATION WORK by previous owners/collectors - for example: reset eyes (in most cases!), repairs to wig, repairs to clothing, touch-ups on composition/finish/paint, etc.
SO ... Any MAJOR issues -- hairline crack, total repaint, etc. -- would be itemized above, but these normal age/conservation details are not. They are to be expected. Thank you.
[ STILL NOT SURE? ]
Please don't hesitate to contact me. I'll gladly answer any questions you may have, so you can make an informed decision whether to purchase this item!
[ ATTENTION U.S. PURCHASERS - SHIPPING OPTIONS ]
Please be sure to check all the shipping options I'm offering. (Click on "Shipping Info," then "other services.") Shipping costs can vary dramatically depending on your Zip code, so choose the one that's best for you.
[ FAIR SHIPPING ]
My shipping fees never get inflated to generate hidden profit! If the shipping seems high on a particular item, please contact me, and I'll gladly explain why it costs that much to ship ... or if there's an error, I'll correct it.
Rare c.1891 PARIS BEBE 19" - by Danel et Cie. - Original French Closed-Mouth Antique Doll