This lovely aluminum tray was a souvenir of the dedication of Corpus Christi Church in Jennings, MO which is a suburb of St. Louis MO. The dedication was on November 27th, 1917 and at that time a building housing both a school and a church was dedicated. At the time John J. Glennon was the Archbishop of St. Louis and Rev. John F. Adrian was the parish priest. John J. Glennon later became Cardinal Glennon of St. Louis in 1945 and has a storied career in St. Louis Catholic Church history. Cardinal Glennon Children's Hospital in St. Louis was named for him and is a premiere children's hospital in the country.
The tray is aluminum and measures 9 1/2 inches by 4 inches. The border of the tray features an art nouveau style motif of scrolling vines and flowers. The tray is divided into three interior sections by the trailing vines with an image of the church and school in the central section and pictures of Rt. Rev. Archbishop Glennon and Rev. John F. Adrian flanking it.
The church underwent a number of revisions and was rebuilt in a contemporary architectural style in the middle of the 20th century. Unfortunately it closed in 2005 after suffering declining parish numbers and the church and school were merged with other local parishes and the holdings deaccessioned by the St. Louis Archdiocese. This is a great piece of local Catholic history featuring a memento of one of the very memorable Catholic Church leaders in St. Louis and nationally.