While this postcard is postmarked 1908, it has the undivided back that was the standard through 1907. The card shows the Eads Bridge which spans the Mississippi River in downtown St. Louis today. You can see that in the early 20th century this area was a river freight hub with paddle wheel steamships docked to take on and unload cargo on their journey up and down the river.
The card has writing on the front as was appropriate with undivided cards, but the message also continues to the back. The card is postally used with a postmark of January 15, 1908. The card is in good condition with a small crease in the upper left hand corner.
The Eads Bridge is a combined railroad and passenger vehicle bridge over the Mississippi. It is still in existence today. The bridge was opened and dedicated on July 4, 1874 and was built at a cost of $10 million. At that time it was the world's largest bridge with a span of 6442 feet. It survived a tornado strike in 1896. The Eads Bridge was dedicated as a National Historic Landmark in 1964. Today the Eads Bridge supports automobile, MetroLink, bicycle and pedestrian traffic. The bridge can also be closed to automobile traffic and used as the site for various festivals and celebrations.