The Mariner Girl Scout program was started in October 1934 for older girl scouts who were interested in outdoor and water based activities. This was the girl scout equivalent of the Sea Scouts in the boy scout organization. In 1971 the Mariners were combined with the Sea Scouts as a coed scouting organization. During the time that Mariner scouts were in existence, several varieties of the pins were made depending on the economy and availability of metals during wartime. This particular pin was produced by Lyon Brothers in the 1940's and bears the Lyon Brothers stamp on the back. The pin on the back is placed horizontally and is has a "safety pin" clasp. The face of the pin is a white metal ship's wheel and a yellow metal trefoil is centered on the wheel and is raised above the wheel.