Here is a rare and interesting Polish cast iron 10kg weight scale made by Wilhelm Hess, Lublin Circa 1929. Piece is very heavy and solid and is fully operational. It does not include any weights but the scale is intact and in overall good condition.
These scales were considered extremely high quality for their time and his scales won prizes and medals at national and international exhibitions (eg in Moscow in 1882, Warsaw in 1885, Smolensk in 1889, Kiev in 1897, Lublin in 1901). The company has become the largest of its kind in Poland. Manufactured here high quality table scales, decal, passenger, carat, tap for shipyards, as well as weighing equipment for army and rail needs.
Measures approx. 22"W x 9"H x 9"D
Here is a bit more information about W. Hess Scales taken from the internet.
First Wilhelm repaired scales, but soon began to produce its own equipment. The fast-achieved success – the gold medal at the Prague exhibition in Prague in 1876 – made the Hess decided to stay in Lublin permanently. To develop the business, in 1878 the industrialist bought a tenement house at ul. Lubartowska 49 and nearby square – a place for future weighing plants, which actually started a year later. The prospective investor also purchased land on the other side of Lubartowska Street. Factory in buildings numbered 75a / 77 was established around 1913 (formerly artillery barracks). The company flourished dynamically until the First World War. The company has become the largest of its kind in Poland. Manufactured here high quality table scales, decal, passenger, carat, tap for shipyards, as well as weighing equipment for army and rail needs.
The war slowed down somewhat, and some of the equipment was taken by the Russians. Nevertheless, the plant resumed its operations in independent Poland. However, another blow – the fire in 1919, and then the economic crisis – proved to be decisive. Consequently, in 1932, the company declared bankruptcy. Still in 1934, the factory tried to save Wilhelm’s son – Karol, but eventually the Krzyszkowski brothers took over from Warsaw and led the WW II under the prestigious name of “Wag W. Hess Factory”. In 1947, the object was nationalized, and four years later the Lubelskie Fabryka Wag, which was incorporated by the Hess company, was established. The plant operated in the same place until 2002, and currently the FAWAG Litter Plant in Lublin. They are located in Lublin, Łęczyńska Street.
11 other shoppers have this item in their Cart or Wish List
Specializing in Vintage and Antique Home Decor, Collectibles and Estate Jewelry