• When I found this old lapis seal, poignantly carved with an elephant, I knew I could not pass it by. I had to use it in a necklace as the centrepiece. It is said to be from the Indus Valley civilization, which could make it quite old. It is certainly in that style. But its age is debateable. What is clear is that it was used as a stamp. You can see at the back of the stamp a slightly extended hump so that the user can handle the stamp. It does have wear, which indicates age. Either way, it is a wonderful, quite charming piece, of great interest. It measures 3cm (1.25”) wide by 2.5cm (1”) high and 13mm deep.
• The stamp is attached by 3mm lapis beads which run through the handle at the back.
• Below the stamp, a handmade, woven sterling silver bead, (17mm), made by the Karen hill tribes in Thailand. Karen hill tribe, Fair Trade silver is made of nearly 98% pure silver. I mostly choose to use their silver because each piece is like a miniature bit of sculpture, individually crafted and created.
• Under the Karen silver bead, hangs a carved lapis bead shaped like a melon (10mm).
• The necklace itself is composed of lapis, sterling, handmade silver coral and enamel beads.
• Two plain large silver beads (25mm) are from Nepal.
• Above, there are two carved vintage lapis melon beads (21mm).
• Slivers of red, bamboo coral (20mm) punctuate the design.
• Two extraordinary large, almost sculptural silver beads(28mm) are also made by the Karen hill tribes.
• Two vibrantly blue lapis beads (20mm) lead to four carved red coral melon beads(15mm).
• Vivid blue lapis slivers flank antique Chinese silver and enamel cylinders measuring 4cm (1.5”) by 15mm.
• And finally, two woven silver barrels bead (15mm), also made by the Karen tribes, finish the design.
• A sterling silver, handmade toggle clasp, has been used because toggle clasps are easy to use and secure. My silver name label is attached at the clasp.
• The necklace comes, like all my necklaces, with its own colour co-ordinated silk brocaded pouch bag, made by a Shanghai tailor.
• The necklace measures 44cm (17.5”) long with a 5.5 cm (2.5”) pendant drop.
Elephant in Lapis with Coral and Handmade Silver Makes a Bold Statement
Overnight Flat Rate Shipping Service (1 working day)
|Est. Sales Tax:||TBD|