This brooch is an exceptional piece of craftsmanship. The the carnelian stones are set in a silver setting with wonderful ball and floral detail. The back of the pin is marked "C 916". which refers to the purity of the silver--91.6% and a hammer and sickle inside a five-pointed star. This Russian mark dates it to 1958. The C stands for Swerdlowsk, the town it was made in. The other side of the pin's back has markings on it that refer to the manufacturers--Swerdlowskaja--and the technique used in the making of the pin -- Juwelirno-Graniliaja Fabrika which translates to something like: granulated jewels factory from Swerdlowsk. This jeweler manufactured pieces from 1953-1967. The 8 stands for the last number of the year this pieces was manufactured--1958. This beautiful vintage pin is in excellent condition, has a barrel clasp and measures 2 1/4" in length and 1" in width.