Life Magazine dated November 20, 1939 Army Number. Cover by Otho Cushing entitled, "A little matter of eternal fidelity" pictures an army boy whispering in the ear of a goddess.
Current events include:
– General Huerta in Mexico
– Charles Mellen and the New Haven road
– Mr. Murphy of Tammany
– The Difficulties of income tax
– Currency bill
– Letter from Senator James Hamilton Lewis to Mr. Pindell about the Russian ambassadorship
Vintage advertising includes:
– Full page on back cover for Baker Electrics Cars
– Full page color ad for Globe Wernicke sectional bookcases "lawyer bookcases"
– Full page Velie Motor vehicle company ad with nice art of one-ton delivery truck.
– Western Electric Chau-phone, install a telephone in your closed car.
– Electric Storage Battery, Ironclad Exide battery ad with Crocker Land Expedition
....and many more
- “Shade of Lincoln : What heroes are these?", centerfold by John Edwin Jackson
- "Thoughts after seeing a problem play" by Donald McKee
- "When Mother is in the Army and Father is in the Navy who will take care of the baby?"
- "On the firing line" by Bayard Jone
...and many more
This is not the Life magazine of the 50's and 60's with a lot of photographic works. The early Life Magazine was satirical, using cartoons, illustrations and words to parody the times. Mark Twain was a frequent target of the lampooning and the drama critic was known for his dislike of most of the Broadway plays of the day.
This vintage magazine is in good condition with a small tear at the bottom of the cover's fold. The pages are clean and crisp and the staples are strong. There is a crease along the center of the pages (I believe someone must have carried it in their purse because it's very clean).
10 other shoppers have this item in their Cart or Wish List
Vintage jewelry, rare books and vintage home decor
Rare books, childrens literature, dolls, vintage jewelry and more.