This circular wall plaque was made using V&B's blank number 1044 and bears the decoration number 5171, which corresponds to a series of blue and white pieces decorated in the style of Delft. This particular piece features a hand painted dockside scene with two masted ships in the background, one of which is marked with the initials "AR" on its sail. A small group of six women in traditional dress can be seen immediately in front of the ships while a similarly attired woman stands at the edge of the dock. The woman holds a a wicker basket tucked under her right arm while a long handled fishing net rests against her left side.
Villeroy & Boch traces its origins to 1748 when the company was founded by François Boch in the village of Audun le Tiche, located in the Lorraine region of France. In 1801, the company moved to the German city of Mettlach, Saarland. Five years later, owner Jean François Boch merged his company with one belonging to rival Nicolas Villeroy, renaming the newly formed entity Villeroy & Boch, V&B. V&B experienced rapid growth and was operating seven factories by the late 19th century, including one at Mettlach which made a variety of items including large circular wall plaques such as this piece.
The plaque is in very good condition with no cracks or repairs. As an antique item the piece shows minor signs of age, namely a small fleabite on the rim. The piece is 12.25" in diameter and weighs in at 2lbs 4oz. The glazed foot rim is factory pierced with two holes threaded with wire for hanging the piece on the wall. The foot is incised with V&B's mold number "1044" along with letters "WC" and numbers "34" and "3". The piece is also stamped with decoration number "DEC 5171" and hand painted with the number "67." and maker's mark "VvB" over "M" for Villeroy Boch Mettlach.
This charming wall plaque displays beautifully and would be a great addition to a collectio
Antique Villeroy & Boch Mettlach Hand Painted Delft Style Charger