S.S. Orsova was a 1503-passenger ocean liner built by Vickers Armstrong Shipbuilders Ltd. of Barrow-in-Furness, England in 1954. She was owned by the Orient Steam Navigation Company and used for UK to Australia services via the Suez Canal, the voyage taking 4 weeks. After 1955 the return trip was eastward via Auckland, Suva, Honolulu, Vancouver, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Panama, Trinidad and Cherbourg.
She had a gross tonnage of 28,790 tons. Length: 220 metres. Breadth: 28 metres. Maximum speed: 22 knots. Propulsion: twin screw, double reduction turbine. Maiden voyage: 17 March 1954. Orsova had no masts. Her funnel was capped with a distinctive ‘Welsh bonnet’ flue extension. She was built with an all-welded hull and her bulkhead and wall linings were plastic-clad. Originally her hull was painted the Orient Line’s corn colour, but in her later years this was changed to P & O’s all white.
On 24 May 1956 Orsova ran aground off Port Phillip Bay, Melbourne for twelve hours. The 30-foot draft vessel was transferred to sister company P & O (Peninsular and Oriental Steam Navigation Company) in 1966. In the early 1970s, she was primarily involved in cruises. She was scrapped off Taiwan in 1974-5.
This lovely little ashtray is chromed with a depiction of the vessel in the bowl done beautifully with butterfly wings and art work. Measures 3 3/4 x 3 1/2".
29 other shoppers are interested in this item
At Molloy's MEGA ANTIQUES CENTRE, Takapuna, Auckland, New Zealand
# # # OPEN For Online Orders & Queries NOW & Right Through The HOLIDAY PERIOD # # #