A super old Victorian SHAVING MUG in Britannia Metal by the renowned Sheffield maker ASHBERRRY & SONS Circa 1880-1890. Lovely body shape...height is 3 3/4 inches. Note this one is pre 1900 as no Ltd. added to the name.
Active at 21 Bowling Green St, Sheffield (1856-1935). Philip Ashberry began trading in 1829 making Britannia metal wares.
The firm became "& Sons" in 1856 and "Ltd" in 1900. The names SAVOY and STAYBRIGHT were used in early 20th century cutlery. The firm was maintained under the control of Ashberry family until 1935 when Lewis Rose & Co Ltd purchased the site and demolished the old factory.
After World War II, Lewis Rose & Co Ltd moved to Bowling Green St using Ashberry name in its production. In 1969 Ashberry was bought by Spear & Jackson group. In 1976 the group was purchased by Guy Degrenne and the firm became Ashberry & Degrenne Ltd at Prospect Rd, Sheffield.
Britannia metal is a specific type of pewter alloy, favoured for its silvery appearance and smooth surface. The composition by weight is typically about 92% tin, 6% antimony, and 2% copper.
Victorian Shaving Mug By Ashberry & Sons
|Shipping:||Arrange with Seller|
|Est. Sales Tax:||TBD|