A Miniature Souvenir Lifebuoy measuring 4 1/2" in diameter excluding the rope for ORONSAY - London...no writing to back.
R.M.S. (later S.S.) Oronsay was the second Orient Line ship built after World War II, her earlier sister RMS Orcades was built in 1948. She was named after an island off the West coast of Scotland, which also influenced her décor. To enhance her Scottish identity she had a “Targe and Broadsword” insignia located aft of her funnel and on her bow. She had the typical Orient livery of a Corn coloured hull, white superstructure and a black topped yellow.
Built by Vickers-Armstrong Ltd at Barrow-in-Furness, especially for the Australasian service, her accommodations set a new standard, both in first and tourist class. With the final cost of building coming in at £4,228,000, she was considered the epitome of post-war British shipbuilding. Her decor was by Brian O'Rourke who was also the interior designer for what was called the “new look” of the Orion, as well as the Orcades. However, her exterior differed from the earlier Orcades (and the newer SS Orsova and the last Orient Line ship ever built, the SS Oriana) having been fitted with a thick mast set atop her Bridge. Like other passenger liners, Oronsay had considerable cargo facilities, with space for 370,000 cubic feet, accommodating both dry and refrigerated cargoes. Her Maiden voyage was on 16 May 1951 and she was Scrapped in 1975
4 other shoppers have this item in their Cart or Wish List
At Molloy's MEGA ANTIQUES CENTRE, Takapuna, Auckland, New Zealand
# # # LAST Dispatch Date For PRE-XMAS Delivery to USA / UK / EUROPE / ASIA is December 10th # # #