Nice ships souvenir badge or brooch in enamel and brass 1 1/8" diameter. More than 29,000 people, mostly from Britain, travelled on the New Zealand Government's immigration ship from her first voyage as the Captain Cook in 1952 to the last voyage in 1959.
Originally launched as the SS Letitia built initially for service with the Anchor-Donaldson Line. She continued to serve with its successor company Donaldson Atlantic Line, and was requisitioned for service at the start of the Second World War to serve as an armed merchant cruiser. She was withdrawn from this service in 1941 and became a troop ship. She was badly damaged in 1943 and on being repaired was made a hospital ship in Canada. She was returned to civilian service in 1946 after the end of the war, and was bought by the Ministry of Transport, who renamed her Empire Brent and assigned Donaldson Brothers and Black to manage her. She sailed on a number of voyages, at times carrying troops to the Far East, as well as being an emigration ship to Australia. She was briefly laid up in 1950, but returned to service under charter to the Government of New Zealand as Captain Cook. She was withdrawn from service in 1960 and sold for scrap.
24 other shoppers have this item in their Cart or Wish List
At Molloy's MEGA ANTIQUES CENTRE, Takapuna, Auckland, New Zealand
# # # LAST Dispatch Date For PRE-XMAS Delivery to USA / UK / EUROPE / ASIA is December 10th # # #