A small Pepper Shaker (3 1/4" high) from the T.S.S. CAMEROANIA.......EPNS Plated with enamel filled brass Crest and Kings Crown over.The "Cameronia" was built in 1919 by Wm Beardmore & Co Ltd, Glasgow for the Anchor Line of Glasgow. She commenced her maiden voyage from Glasgow to Liverpool and New York on 11/5/1921 and between 1921-1924 she made several similar Cunard-Anchor Line voyages. She made 11 un-escorted transatlantic voyages until she was requisitioned as a troopship in Dec.1940. In January 1941 she trooped 3,000 men to Suez via the Cape and then shuttled between Alexandria and Greece, mainly with New Zealanders. In 1942 she took part in the training and run up to the North African landings (Operation Torch) and in Nov.,took part in the landings. In December 1942 She was hit by an aerial torpedo with the loss of 17 lives, but reached Bone, Algeria. She returned to Gibraltar for repair and thence to the Clyde. In June 1943 she resumed service and participated in carrying the Canadian Tank Division from Malta to Sicily and in June 1944 was the largest troopship to take part in the Normandy landings.In August 1945 she was derequisitioned after carrying a total of 163,789 troops over a total distance of 321,323 miles.
Laid up as 'worn out' at 25 years of age, she was brought out of retirement in July 1948 and refitted for use as an Australian emigration ship with capacity for 1,266 passengers.On 21/1/1953 she was sold to the Ministry of Transport and renamed "Empire Clyde" and in March 1958 was scrapped at Newport.
18 other shoppers are interested in this item
At Molloy's MEGA ANTIQUES CENTRE, Takapuna, Auckland, New Zealand
# # # OPEN For Online Orders & Queries NOW & Right Through The HOLIDAY PERIOD # # #