This is a Silver Souvenir Spoon with an Enameled Bowl of Trieste. This is a very Petite and beautiful Spoon that has an enameled Bowl that is titled "Trieste" with a majestic Scene of a Harbor with Maritime Ships. The Enamel and Artwork is in pristine condition. It has baby blue Enameling on the handle with Ribbon & Flower designs with a Beaded Medallion in Cobalt Blue enameling with the words " Souvenir". It is marked on the back of the handle " K D " ( maker's mark ) with the silver content of "800 ". Some History on Trieste's Multinational past: Looking carefully at the walls of the Basilica di San Giusto, there is something not quite right. A couple of smooth, rounded protrudences jut out, clearly not an intended part of the architecture. They are, it turns out, cannonballs. When the Napoleonic French troops held out in Trieste back in 1813, they hid away in the cathedral while English ships let rip with a fearful pounding from the Adriatic Sea. Nobody ever got round to properly removing the debris – remnants can also be found lodged in the walls of the theatre in town. In a way, the basilica sums up Trieste nicely. The English tried to take it from the French, whilst inside its chapel, there are nine tombs belonging to members of the Spanish royal family. It is technically an Italian city, but you’d hardly know it. Many Italians think that Trieste is part of Yugoslavia, and those who actually paid attention to the break up of the Balkans would be hard pressed to decide whether it’s in Slovenia or Croatia. One look at the map, and it’s not hard to see why – Trieste is at the end of a pinky finger jutting out of the Italian mainland. Vienna’s Key Port: For much of its history, Trieste has been under Austrian rule, acting as the key port for the empire ruled from Vienna. Not until the end of the Second World War did it become Italian, and even then not for long. The Germans occupied the city during World War II, and was liberated almost simultaneously by Yugoslavs and New Zealanders. It then became a free territory administered by British and American forces from 1947 to 1953, largely in a sale to dissuade the avaricious attention of Josef Tito from across the Yugoslav border.