This is a Sterling Silver Souvenir Demitasse Spoon of "Greatstone Golf Club". This Spoon measures 4 & 3/4" long. It has the British Hallmarks for Sterling " an Anchor / Town Mark for Birmingham / Lion Passant for Silver Content / and the Date Letter for "x" is for 1922-1923 / It has " E W S " for Makers Marks. It has a coin medallion at the top of the handle with " Greatstone Golf Club" with an engraved Ship Shield Symbol in the middle, a Pair of Golf Clubs crossed over with Golf Balls positioned in the center of the Golf Handles and down further by the end of the Golf Clubs is another Golf Ball. The bowl is plain with no decoration in it. A Little History on Greatstone: Greatstone is a recent name taken from a shoreline feature, since eroded by coastal changes, known as the Great Stone. Less than 200 years ago the village of Greatstone did not exist. As recent as 1816 the land on which the present village now stands was no more than just part of the seabed in Romney Bay, washed over by the tides of the English Channel. Great Stone, as it was known in 1816, was just a shingle headland, being the land point that marked the southern entrance to the bay that extended almost as far west as New Romney. The sea had been retreating from New Romney, once a harbour and port, ever since the 13th century. The same shingle headland existed in 1617. It was the northern extremity of the Dungeness shingle and was known as Stone Point/End. In about 1800 shingle moved south from Dymchurch (to the north of Greatstone, south of Hythe) and started to form a barrier to the sea. This was know as Little Stone. Silt started to build up behind this barrier and in 1839 a wall was built to exclude the sea just to the north of the present Littlestone, which accelerated this silting process. Around 1900 a further sea all was built that resulted in the gap between Greatstone and Littlestone being closed. This was the beginning of Greatstone. And for shingle read 'stone' as in Greatstone. Prior to the 1920s there was hardly anything to Greatstone at all. In the 1920s the area was predominantly covered by sand dunes and was known as the Greatstone Dunes Estate. It consisted of just a few properties mainly used as holiday homes. The area between Dunes Road and Littlestone road ie the northern 'half' of the present Greatstone, was mainly taken up as a golf course, the Greatstone Golf Club. In about 1926 their clubhouse was destroyed by fire which led to the demise of the club in 1931. The dunes at Greatstone led straight to the sea and together with the fine sandy beach and safe bathing made for a popular holiday destination.