This item from Hill and Hill is now SOLD.
More from Hill and Hill
Cabinet Card with Photo of Brothers" 3 Buddies" Vancouver Washington Territory
This is a Cabinet Card with Photo of Brothers " 3 Buddies " and dates before 1889. These Boys are probably Brothers and all dressed up in their Sunday best and on their best behavior. Can you imagine how long these 3 boys had to sit still for this photo, that probably took a very long time. It marked with the Photographer at the bottom of the card " M. Hofsteater Vancouver, W T " . ( which is Vancouver, Washington Territory ) Some History on "Washington Territory": 1776 United States of America declares independence from England. 1792 Captain Gray discovers the mouth of the Columbia River, Capt. Vancouver sends Chatham to explore Columbia River as far as Washougal. 1805 Lewis and Clark's "Corps of Discovery" serves as first ambassadors to the Oregon Country on behalf of President Thomas Jefferson. 1806 Esther Clark (Short), one-half Algonquin Indian, is born. At 18 she marries Amos Short and later has 12 children. 1818 Treaty of Joint Occupation is signed which led to establishment of Fort Vancouver by Hudson's Bay Company. 1821 Hudson's Bay Company merges with its bitter rival, the North West Company. 1824 Dr. John McLoughlin begins 22 years at Hudson's Bay Company in Vancouver as Chief Factor. 1825 Establishment of Hudson's Bay Company (on present site of State Deaf School). 1826 First apple seeds come around Cape Horn in pants pocket of British Naval Captain Simpson. 1827 First sawmill is built by Hudson's Bay Company. 1829 First apple trees are planted by the Hudson's Bay Company north of the stockade. Some fruit bearing ancestors survive. The oldest apple tree has its own park in Vancouver. 1830 Malarial epidemic wipes out a large portion of Native Americans. 1832 School days start with Hudson's Bay Company's first teacher, John Ball. 1836 The first steamboat on the Pacific Coast arrives at Fort Vancouver from London, England. 1842 A series of Mt. St. Helen's eruptions begins. 1844 District of Vancouver begins to operate as quasi-legal unit of government under the Oregon Provisional Government. 1846 Esther and Amos Short move to present site of downtown Vancouver (Hudson's Bay Company property) despite the treaty of 1846 which gave the Hudson's Bay Company rights to the land. Treaty of 1846 between the U.S. and Britain establishes the 49th parallel as southern boundary of Canada. Catholic frame mission is built near Fort Vancouver (replaced 38 years later by St. James Church in downtown Vancouver.) 1848 The Oregon Territory is established by the U.S., including land north of the Columbia River. Covington House (log cabin) is built by Richard Covington who came from London with his wife to teach children at the Fort. (Oldest existing school building in the county.) 1849 U.S. Military post is established adjacent to Fort Vancouver. USS Massachusetts arrives at Hudson's Bay Company post of Fort Vancouver with the first contingent of U.S. military troops. District of Vancouver name is changed to Clark County after explorer Captain William Clark by Oregon Territorial Legislature. U.S. Grant House is built of logs (Commanding Officers home - oldest structure of the old Vancouver Barracks.) 1850 Regular county government is established under the county court system. "Columbia City" (Vancouver) town site is platted. U.S. post office is established at Vancouver. Four-square-mile military reservation established at Vancouver. 1853 Military reservation is reduced to one square mile by order of Secretary of War (area later known as Central Park.) Congress establishes the Washington Territory. 1855 The Washington Territory Legislature changes the name of Columbia City to Vancouver. First county courthouse and jail is built. 1855 Esther Short donates "plaza" to the public. Later to be known as oldest public square in the state. 1857 Vancouver incorporates as a city. 1859 Clark County "Commissioner" form of government begins. 1860 Hudson's Bay Company moves its operation to Canada. The Washington Territorial Legislature names Vancouver capital of the Territory. (Later overruled by Territory's Supreme Court.) 1861 Civil War begins. 1863 L.M. Hidden moves to Vancouver to begin a life of civic contribution. His brick company has turned out more than 100 million bricks for such landmarks as The Academy and St. James Church. 1865 Civil War ends. 1866 Old Fort Vancouver burns to the ground. Next year, Vancouver forms a fire department. 1867 Slocum House is built. First elegant mansion in Vancouver. (Moved one block north of its original site in 1966 to rescue it from urban renewal.) 1868 First county fair opens at what is later known as Esther Short Park. 1873 Territorial Legislature establishes boundaries for Clark County. Providence Academy is designed by Mother Joseph and built by the Catholic Church. 1876 Cedar Creek Grist Mill is built 10 miles east of Woodland (Restoration was a state Centennial project.) 1879 Former President U.S. Grant visits Vancouver with his wife Julia. First telephone and street lights in the Northwest added to Officers Row. 1883 First county courthouse built. 1884 Columbia River Paper Company files articles of incorporation for Camas mill. 1884 St. James Cathedral built -- first masonry cathedral in Washington and seat of statewide Diocese until 1907. 1885 L.M. Hidden House is built with bricks made by his Vancouver company. 1886 United States celebrates Centennial. Marshall House is built on Officers Row. 1888 Construction of Vancouver, Klickitat and Yakima Railroad; first locomotive placed on the track. 1889 On November 11, Washington becomes 42nd state in the union. It is marked on the back with the Photographer with a fancy advertising " O M Hofsteater Photographer / Christ's Block / Vancouver, W T / Negatives kept for future use duplicates can be had at any time. It measures 6 1/2" by 4 1/4" and is in great condition.
If you were the pending buyer of this item, go to My Account to view, track and check payment for this item.