This very detailed 5 & 3/8" Souvenir Spoons clearly marked Sterling and has a Watson Trademark. The condition is wonderful, very crisp and damage free. The handle has details on front & Reverse/ The embossed bowl is titled "Maurice Springs Hot Springs, Arkansas" and has a detailed depiction of that location.
Construction began on the new Maurice Bathhouse in 1911 and was completed by 1912. The building was designed by George Gleim, Jr., of Chicago. The building was remodelled in 1915, following a design by George Mann and Eugene John Stern of Little Rock. The building, generally square in plan, is three stories in height and contains 79 rooms and nearly 30,000 square feet (including basement). The building was designed in an eclectic combination of Renaissance Revival and Mediterranean styles commonly used by architects in California such as Julia Morgan. The brick and concrete load-bearing walls are finished with stucco on the exterior, and inset with decorative colored tiles. The front elevation of the building is symmetrical, with a five bay enclosed sum porch set back between the north and south end wings. Besides the symmetry, the hierarchy of fenestration found in Renaissance Revival buildings is also present: delicate arches of the porch window and door openings on the first floor, paired nine-light windows on the second story, and enormous rectangular openings on the third floor, further illuminated by the skylight above. The predominantly flat roof is finished with built-up roofing material while parapets and some other sections of roof visible from ground level are covered with green tile. The skylights are metal frames with wire glass. On the interior the concrete beams of the beam and slab floor construction are exposed, but have been finished with plaster similar to the interior walls. The first floor contains the sun porch/entrance, lobby, stairs and elevators, men's facilities to the south, and women's facilities to the north. The arches and fluted Ionic pilasters of the lobby re-emphasize the elegance presented by the front elevation. An addition to the lobby space is the orange neon "Maurice" sign on the wall behind the marble counter of the front desk. Neon signs were also found on the interior of the Superior and in other businesses in the immediate vicinity. Stained glass skylights and windows of mythical sea scenes in the men's and women's portions contribute to the sophistication of the building. The second floor contains dressing rooms for both sexes, a billiard room with a mural, and various staff rooms. The third floor houses the dark-panelled Roycroft Den, name after Elbert Hubbard's New York Press that promoted the Arts and Crafts movement in the United States. The den was also known as the "Dutch Den." The den was added during the 1915 remodelling, at the same time that the sun porch was constructed, the roofline changed, and the interior renovated. The den contains an inglenook fireplace with flanking benches. Carved mascarons detail the ends of the ceiling beams. The den replaced an earlier solarium. The gymnasium in the basement was also enlarged. A therapeutic pool was installed in the Maurice in 1931 to treat various forms of paralysis (spurred on by Franklin Delano Roosevelt's treatments at Warm Springs, Georgia). Other interior remodelling work was done in 1930-31, resulting in the gymnasium function being moved to the Roycroft Den. Two concrete ramps that flank the central stairs and provide access to the front of the building were probably added at the same time. Other changes through the years were relatively minor.
7 other shoppers have this item in their Cart or Wish List
Antique Sterling Silver, Jewelry, Napkin Rings, Victorian Objects
Sale * * * * * * * * Attention Sale * * * * * * Prices Reduced******Upgrade Shipping to Priority Mail