Sterling Silver "Fort Dearborn" Chicago Souvenir SpoonSterling Silver "Fort Dearborn" Chicago Souvenir SpoonSterling Silver "Fort Dearborn" Chicago Souvenir SpoonSterling Silver "Fort Dearborn" Chicago Souvenir SpoonSterling Silver "Fort Dearborn" Chicago Souvenir Spoon

Sterling Silver "Fort Dearborn" Chicago Souvenir Spoon. it has "C H I C A G O" spelled out down the spoon handle. This fine spoon measures 5 & 7/8" long and is dated July 1908 on the back of the handle. The elaborate bowl is titled "Ft. Dearborn 1860". It shows a Lookout-Light House, Fort Dearborn and Ships tied up to the Harbour along with a Sailboat. There is a Soldier with his Rifle guarding the Fort and an American Indian by the Fort with Birds / Seagulls flying overhead. The area around the Fort Dearborn is enclosed by a Fence. History about Fort Dearborn, named in honor of Henry Dearborn, was a United States fort built on the Chicago River in 1803 by troops under Captain John Whistler. It was on the site of the present-day city of Chicago. In 1810, when Whistler was recalled to Detroit, Michigan, he was succeeded by Captain Nathan Heald. It was located at what is now the intersection of Wacker Drive and Michigan Avenue in the Loop community area of Chicago at the foot of the Magnificent Mile. The site of the fort was designated a Chicago Landmark on September 15, 1971. Henry Dearborn (February 23, 1751 to June 6, 1829) was an American physician, statesman and veteran of both the American Revolutionary War and the War of 1812. Fortifications are military constructions designed for defensive warfare. The Chicago River is 156 miles (251 km) long, and flows through downtown Chicago. Nathan Heald (New Ipswich, New Hampshire September 24, 1775 - OFallon, Missouri April 27, 1832) was an officer in the United States army during the War of 1812. All three levels of Wacker Drive, east of Columbus Drive, including a ramp between the upper and lower (middle) levels Wacker Drive is a major street in Chicago, Illinois, United States, running along the south side of the main branch and the east side of the south branch of The Michigan Avenue Bridge across the Chicago River. The Loop is what locals call the historical center of downtown Chicago. The city Chicago, Illinois, is divided into seventy-seven community areas. Michigan Avenue is a north-south road in Chicago, Illinois. During the War of 1812, General William Hull ordered the evacuation of Fort Dearborn in August of 1812. Heald oversaw the evacuation, but on August 15 the evacuees were ambushed by about 500 Potawatomi Indians in the Fort Dearborn Massacre. The Potawatomi captured Heald and his wife, Rebekah, and ransomed them to the British. Of the 148 soldiers, women and children who evacuated the fort, 86 were killed in the ambush. The Potawatomi burned the fort to the ground the next day. The Fort Dearborn massacre occurred on August 15, 1812 near Fort Dearborn in the United States during the War of 1812. Following the war, a second Fort Dearborn was built in 1816. This fort consisted of a double wall of wooden palisade, officer and enlisted barracks, a garden, and other buildings. The American forces garrisoned the fort until 1823, when peace with the Indians led the garrison to be deemed redundant. This temporary abandonment lasted until 1828, when it was regarrisoned following the outbreak of war with the Winnebago Indians. Closed briefly before the Black Hawk War of 1832, part of the fort was demolished to make way for a new channel for the Chicago River. By 1837, the fort was being used by the Superintendent of Harbor Works. Palisade and Moat A palisade is a Medieval wooden fence or wall of variable height, used as a defensive structure. ... A barracks housing conscripts of Norrbottens regemente in Boden, Sweden. The Ho-Chunk or Winnebago (as they are commonly called) are a tribe of Native Americans, native to what are now Wisconsin and Illinois. In 1857, a fire destroyed nearly all the remaining buildings in the fort. The forts tower bell was rescued from the remains by Police Constable Jacob Schoenewald and donated for use in the bell tower of St. Joseph's Catholic Church during its construction in 1864. The blockhouse and the few surviving outbuildings were destroyed in the Great Chicago Fire of 1871. A 19th-century-era block house in Fort York, Toronto In military science, a blockhouse is a small, isolated fort in the form of a single building. Artists rendering of the fire, by John R Chapin, originally printed in Harpers Weekly The Great Chicago Fire was a conflagration that burned from Sunday October 8 to early Tuesday October 10, 1871, killing hundreds and destroying about four square miles in Chicago, Illinois.

Item ID: RL-2498


CR

Sterling Silver "Fort Dearborn" Chicago Souvenir Spoon

$25 USD ea.

Quantity available: 2
Add to Cart
Questions about this item?
Email Shop

44 other shoppers have this item in their Cart or Wish List


Hill and Hill


Kathy & Jim Hill
Portland
OR
  

Antique Sterling Silver, Jewelry, Napkin Rings, Victorian Objects

Sale * * * * * * * * Attention Sale * * * * * * Prices Reduced******Upgrade Shipping to Priority Mail

Exclusive Ruby Lane Member since 2002

Shipping & Handling:$5.00 USD
Insurance:Included
Shipping to: USA
change

More from Hill and Hill