This spoon measures 3 & 3/4" long, its a Demitasse Coffee size. It has exceptional patina and is in excellent condition. The Handle is encrusted with Clover and very detailed. The Bowl is hand engraved " Great Bend Kans ". Great Bend History: Early settlers to the area came in about 1870. Most of the pioneer homes were rough dugouts and sod houses that barely protected their inhabitants from the severe weather often experienced in Kansas. They were fitted with holes in the wall to defend against the Indians. Early settlers killed buffalo to provide food for their family; plus they sent the tanned hides to the east for a cash income. A few settlers tried farming but were unsuccessful because the buffalo tramped down the crops. The first settlement in Great Bend township were made by E. J. Dodge and D. N. Heiser in 1871.
The town was named after the Great Bend of the Arkansas River, a feature noted as early as the first days of the Santa Fe Trail. It was here that a trading post was established and later a small military post, Fort Zarah.
After the Civil War the land began to be developed by easterners, and by the early 1870s a town had formed and Great Bend participated for a short time as a cow town, complete with shoot outs, Texas cowboys and saloons.
Following the close of the cow town phase, Great Bend took up its place as a regional trade and service center, a role that grew stronger during the growth of the oil industry and, later, when it served as a major World War II Army Air Corps training base.
Since then the community has continued to develop as a medical, legal and technical service center, as well as a regional shopping and entertainment provider.
3 other shoppers are interested in this item
Antique Sterling Silver, Jewelry, Napkin Rings, Victorian Objects
Sale * * * * * * * * Attention Sale * * * * * * Reducing Prices******