Here is a great antique book for your buying consideration. Would make a great gift or keep it for yourself.
The book deals with the Laws Passed by the United States of America by the First Session of the Sixth Congress in Philadelphia, PA in December 1799. The book was issued in 1801 and printed by Richard Folwell of Philadelphia.
The book has two notations of owners names in the front of it. There is a James Battill and an A L Hayes. What makes this book even more interesting was that it was ownedbeen owned at one time by John Middleton Clayton whom served as a DE Senator to the US Senate 3 different times between 1829 thru 1856 and also served as Secretary of State in the Zachary Taylor administration. This book has the John M. Clayton owner mark on page 40.
We were able to pick up a number of the Senator Clayton's books that were once in his library at some time in the past, some of those books going back to 1640. I will note the listing numbers for some of those other books are they are made available for sale separately in our store.
John Clayton was the cousin of Thomas Clayton whom also served in the US Government during the same time period. Clayton Hall at the University of Delaware was named that to honor John Clayton.
The book is still bound together well. It says, " Laws of the U. States" on the spine and then "5". The calf lined covers of the books certainly shows some finish loss. The front and rear cover are attached to the book. The pages have some minor foxing/brown spotting in places. First 15 pages show watermarking on the top of the pages. The book actually smells like tobacco. The pages are all intact. I only see one of the blank ones in the front of that has a small hole in it.
The book is 352 pages long followed by a table of contents. The book is 8-1/8" tall, by 5" across, by 1-3/8" wide. No mildewy smell to the book. Let us know if you have any questions or need additional pictures. Don’t be shy to make an offer, we are always open to reasonable suggestions.
The pictures provided both complement and supplement the listing description, so please look at them very closely as well. With old items, there is no way one can capture all the little imperfections in words, so the two media are meant to be the full description.
Make sure that this item meets your needs and requirements before deciding to acquire it. The item can be returned, there is a 10% restocking fee to do so. So, please carefully review all the attached pictures, ask all the questions you have, come see in person or send a friend to see the item on your behalf, prior to deciding to acquire it.
Some other books we acquired at the same time and that we have for sale separately in our online store that were or appear to have been owned by former DE State Senator John M Clayton (John Alford Banning noted in some as well);
1) Law of Nations Book 1805 Monsieur de Vattel - Listing # 121293235875
2) Henry de Bracton On the Laws and Customs of England 1640 - Listing # 111299604746
3) An Essay on Crimes and Punishments 1777 Monsieur De Voltaire - Listing # 111305589358
4) Acts Passed at the Second Congress of the United States of America Book 1791 - Listing # 121292625400
5) A Summary of the Law of Set-Off 1825 2nd US Edition Basil Montagu - Listing # 111317302714
6) A Treatise on the Law of Distresses 1808 1st US Edition J Bradby - Listing # 121311195731
7) The Attorneys Practice in the Court of Common Pleas 3rd Ed 1758 - Listing # 121311262606 (also owned by Gunning Bedford Jr., DE Signer of US Constitution)
8) Anno Regni Caroli II Regis Angliae Scotiae Franciae & Hibeniae 1689 J Henry Bull - Listing # 111306249093 (also owned by Gunning Bedford Jr., DE Signer of US Constitution)
9) Antique Book Conductor Generalis or Office Duty of Justices of the Peace 1788 James Parker - Listing #111318879238
Please check out our other Timeless Tokens store listings as we are regularly adding new items. We specialize in antique and vintage artwork, books, collectibles, furniture, musical instruments, paper ephemera, marine/nautical, and clocks. Thanks for your business. (C14021a).