This is a very nice dip pen made to commemorate King Edward VII of England Coronation in 1902. It's a rare pen owing to the red grooved Celluloid or Bakelite grip and the configuration of the reverse closing dip pen. The style of pen was first introduced (in the form of a pencil) in 1901 at the Buffalo World's Fair, also known as the Pan-American Expo.
This pen is in very nice condition showing only signs of normal use and wear, age and patina. There is a small dent in the dip pen ferrule but it is certainly not much of a detraction. The body of the pen is possibly aluminum or a nickel silver plated rolled metal. The grip is finely grooved red opaque celluloid. The topping crown is modeled after that of King Edward VII of England. The pen tip is mounted in a reversible ferrule and can be stored concealed inside the pen body when not in use. To use the pen, the ferrule is simply pulled out to reveal the nib and turned around and placed back in the body tube to write. A very unusual aspect to this particular stanhope dip pen is the telescoping body tube which can be pulled out to lengthen the pen to full size. In it's closed form with the nib and tip concealed, the pen is 4 inches long. When it is extended for writing, the pen is a full 6-1/2 inches long. The stanhope shows a very nice multi-image of Dymchurch in Kent, England. The image is perfectly clear and easy to see and it's easy to see that the tiny images were made from photos rather than drawings or illustrations. Each of the images are also individually titled.
This stanhope dip pen is a highly collectible piece and should be considered somewhat rare and difficult to find, especially in such wonderful condition. We rec'd this item in a very fine stanhope estate collection. This stanhope had been added to that collection in October 1988 where it remained until our recent acquisition of it.
8 other shoppers have this item in their Cart or Wish List
Specialist & Purveyor of Fine Antique & Vintage Era Stanhopes
Now Listing - Very Rare Stanhopes once property of the Stanhope Museum.