Very rare and collectable sterling silver and enamel box. Fully hallmarked for much sought after maker George Adam Scheid, Austria c1890-1900. Also German import marks as well as retailer's mark for well known J.H Werner, Berlin.
Condition: several enamel chips (please see photos), otherwise in great condition.
4 x 3cm / 1.6" x 1.2"
2oz / 56gram
Georg Adam Scheid was born in Schönau Baden, Württemberg on July 28 1837. He started his apprenticeship in 1853 and operated afterwards in Pforzheim and Stuttgart. In 1858 he came to Vienna and entered the workshop of the gold, silver goods producer and jeweler Michael Markowitsch. He married one of Markowitsch's daughters and in 1862 the company was renamed Markowitsch & Scheid and adopted the mark M & S. It was located in Sandwirtgasse 8, and then in Gumpendorfer Straße 83. In 1882 they separated and Sheid started his own flourishing operation, employing up to 300 workers. The silver decoration factory was named "G. A. Sheid" and used different marks. It was located in Gumpendorfer Straße 85. Markowitsch & Scheid was then owned by Adolf Markowitsch alone, a son of Michael Markowitsch, and kept the same mark, the company shut down in 1898.
Specialities of Sheid's factory were cigarette cases, powder boxes, write sets, toilet sets as well as jewelry boxes, which were also sold in large quantities in Germany, France, Italy, Great Britain, Belgium and Spain.
To ensure the supply of raw materials in 1888 Scheid opened up his own refinery where, from precious metal wastes, raw material as well as semi-manufactured products, as sheet metals and wires were produced. The operation grew rapidly and covered not only his own requirement but goods were also exported abroad and with the establishment of sister operations in Budapest (1891), Prague (1920) and Bucharest (1923) Scheid took control of the market. In 1894 the sons Arthur (1870-1897) and Robert (1872-1950), as well as his nephew George (1850-1937), stepped in as partners. In 1911 George Adam Sheid withdrew from the business life and Robert and Georg Sheid took over. Robert and his younger brother Ludwig (1886-1960) then assumed the management. After the First World War, fall of the overseas market for the decoration sector and the bad economic situation led, as a consequence, to the liquidation of the decoration factory, while the "Affinerie" continued and in 1962 merged with the Ludwig Roessler GmbH to form the ÖGUSSA GmbH, which still exists today
32 other shoppers have this item in their Cart or Wish List
We’re passionate about Scandinavian antique and vintage jewelry.
Layaways welcome. Hassle free returns. Buy with ease of mind. Insured shipping worldwide $10. List 5-15 items per day.