This beautiful Porcelain Figurine depicts a boy playing with a dog at a fountain. It was made by the famous Porcelain Company Hermann Hutschenreuther / Probstzella. It dates back to 1886-1891. It is magnificentley handmade and hand painted and a beautiful addition to every Porcelain Collection. It has the Impressed Marks XP and dep in addition to the modell number 3453.
About the "forgotten" Hutschenreuther:
When looking at the well documented history of the companies of Carl Magnus Hutschenreuther from Hohenberg (Bavaria) and his son Lorenz Hutschenreuther from Selb (Bavaria), it makes one wonder that so many people still do not know that these were independent companies, each with their own product lines and designs until the company of Lorenz Hutschenreuther took over the Hohenberg factory in 1969. On the other hand it is therefore not surprising that most people simply overlook the third member of the Hutschenreuther clan simply because he operated outside Bavaria. Hermann Hutschenreuther was a cousin of Carl Magnus and his factory (seen in comparison with the other two) was fairly small and less successfull, but still made stunning items that could easily stand up against the larger companies in regards of design and quality.
Businessman Hermann Hutschenreuther first appears as silent partner in the company of the ⇒Porzellanfabrik Unger, Schneider & Cie., which was located in Gräfenthal (Thuringia) and existed from 1859 until 1885. When Carl Schneider died in 1885, his shares were inherited by his only son who also took over the shares from Unger at the same time. During his previous work in the company, young Schneider had greatly impressed Hermann Hutschenreuther who now gave up his silent partnership openly supported Schneider, based on an agreement that the company of Schneider & Hutschenreuther should exist until both decided that the business was stable enough for Schneider to continue on his own. It speaks for the talent and energy of young Schneider that this partnership only existed for a year and during this time Hermann Hutschenreuther opened his own factory in Probstzella which saw the first firing in November 1886.
The newly founded business at first made normal tableware, but soon specialized on porcelain gifts, doll heads and religious items and as both companies made figurines there was a constant transfer of knowledge between the Hutschenreuther factory and that of young Schneider; the similarity in design and decoration is sometimes quite obvious. This technology transfer was continued until Hutschenreuther died shortly before the turn of the century, leaving the business in the hands of a few directors who turned away from the too figure-based product range and concentrated more on international demand.
Condition: It is beautifully detailed and in excellent mint condition without chips or cracks.
Size: It is 5 Inch by 4 1/2 Inch by 2 1/2 Inch (approximately).
Please feel free to ask any questions.
8 other shoppers are interested in this item
An Eclectic Collection of Antiques and Art + Vintage and Antique Fashion and Jewelry
Currently we only have limited items in our shop. Please contact us if you are interested in items you saw here in the past.