This attractive engraving of northern Austria is centered on the Danube river and locates key cities including Vienna, Linz and Steyr. The map displays hundreds of tiny villages, forests and mountains in profile. A decorative title cartouche is surrounded by putti, cherubs and two coats of arms. It even features the town of Budweiss - where the Budweisser Beer comes originally from.
Title: Circuli Austriaci pars Septentrionalis in qua Archiducatus
Author: Frederick de Witt
Date: circa 1690
Size.: circa 23 1/2 x 19 1/2 inches
Condition: Good unfolded map, with minor aging (see picture)
Coloring: Original fine antique Hand Coloring
Frederick de Wit was born Frederick Hendricksz or Frederick son of Hendrick. He was born to a Protestant family in 1629/30, in Gouda, a small city in the province of Holland, one of the seven united provinces of the Netherlands. His father Hendrick Fredericsz (1608 - 29 July1668) was a hechtmaecker (knife handle maker) from Amsterdam, and his mother Neeltij Joosten (before 1658) was the daughter of a merchant in Gouda. Frederick was married on the 29th of August 1661, to Maria van der Way (1632-1711), the daughter of a wealthy Catholic merchant in Amsterdam. From ca. 1648 until his death at the end of July 1706, Frederick de Wit lived and worked in Amsterdam. Frederick and Maria had seven children, but only one Franciscus Xaverius (1666-1727) survived them.
By 1648, during the height of the Dutch Golden Age, De Wit had moved from Gouda to Amsterdam. As early as 1654 he had opened a printing office and shop under the name De Drie Crabben (the Three Crabs) which was also the name of his house on the Kalverstraat. In 1655, De Wit changed the name of his shop to the Witte Pascaert (the White Chart). Under this name De Wit and his firm became internationally known.
The first cartographic images that De Wit engraved were a plan of Haarlem that has been dated to 1648, and sometime before 1649 De Wit engraved the city views - city maps for the cities of Rijsel and Doornik that appeared in the richly illustrated Flandria Illustrata by the Flemish historian, Antonius Sanderus.
The first charts engraved by De Wit were published in 1654 under the De Drie Crabben address. The first map that was both engraved and dated by De Wit was that of Denmark"REGNI DANIÆ Accuratissima delineatio Perfeckte Kaerte van CONJNCKRYCK DENEMARCKEN." in 1659. His first world maps, "NOVA TOTIUS TERRARUM ORBIS TABULA AUCTORE F. DE WIT."(approx. 43 x 55 cm) and Nova Totius Terrarum Orbis Tabula (a wall map approx. 140 x 190 cm) appeared around 1660.
His Atlas began to appear around 1662 and by 1671 they included anywhere from 17 to 151 maps each. In the 1690' he began to use a new title page "Atlas Maior" but continued to use his old title page. His atlas of the Low Countries first published in 1667, was named Nieuw Kaertboeck van de XVII Nederlandse Provinciën and contained 14 to 25 maps. De Wit quickly expanded upon his first small folio atlas which contained mostly maps printed from plates that he had acquired, to an atlas with 27 maps engraved by or for him. By 1671 he was publishing a large folio atlas with as many as 100 maps. Smaller atlases of 17 or 27 or 51 maps could still be purchased and by the mid-1670s an atlas of as many as 151 maps and charts could be purchased from his shop. In ca.1675 De Wit released a new nautical atlas. The charts in this atlas replaced the earlier charts from 1664 that are known today in only four bound examples and a few loose copies. De Wits new charts were sold in a chart book and as part of his atlases. De Wit published no fewer than 158 land maps and 43 charts on separate folio sheets.
Please feel free to ask any questions.
17 other shoppers have this item in their Cart or Wish List
An Eclectic Collection of Antiques and Art + Vintage and Antique Fashion and Jewelry
Lots of Items on Sale - Please feel free to ask any questions