This detailed picture is an original steel engraving. It was published in 1856 in the "Illustrierte Zeitung". It shows Castle Clinton - formerly known as Castle Garden - in what is today Battery Park, Manhattan, New York City. It is a circular sandstone fort and perhaps best remembered as America's first immigration station, where more than 8 million people arrived in the U.S. from 1855 to 1890. This engraving shows the Castle when it just started to serve as the immigration station. It is especially interesting since the Fort is almost completely surrounded by water. Battery Park - where it stands nowadays didn't exist yet. The engraving comes from the "Illustrierte Zeitung" of January 12th 1856. It was framed in a simple vintage frame.
Published : Leipzig, Germany 1856
Size : circa 9 1/2 x 8 inches
Condition: Very good condition with nice color and light tanning giving it a vintage look.
Please feel free to ask any questions.
9 other shoppers have this item in their Cart or Wish List
An Eclectic Collection of Antiques and Art + Vintage and Antique Fashion and Jewelry
Lots of Items on Sale - Please feel free to ask any questions