1856 Original Print of the Semper Gallery in Dresden - Antique Steel Engraving of the  Old Masters Picture Gallery of the Zwinger1856 Original Print of the Semper Gallery in Dresden - Antique Steel Engraving of the  Old Masters Picture Gallery of the Zwinger1856 Original Print of the Semper Gallery in Dresden - Antique Steel Engraving of the  Old Masters Picture Gallery of the Zwinger1856 Original Print of the Semper Gallery in Dresden - Antique Steel Engraving of the  Old Masters Picture Gallery of the Zwinger1856 Original Print of the Semper Gallery in Dresden - Antique Steel Engraving of the  Old Masters Picture Gallery of the Zwinger1856 Original Print of the Semper Gallery in Dresden - Antique Steel Engraving of the  Old Masters Picture Gallery of the Zwinger

This detailed picture is an original steel engraving. It was published in 1856 in the "Illustrierte Zeitung". It shows the Portal of the The Semper Gallery or Semper’s Building in Dresden, Germany. It was designed by the architect Gottfried Semper and constructed from 1847 until 1854. The building in Neoclassical style closes the Zwinger courtyard on its northern side. It faces the Zwinger to the south and to the north it borders the Theater Square with the Semper Opera House as well as Dresden Castle and the Catholic Church of the Royal Court. The Semper Gallery houses the Old Masters Picture Gallery. It is described as the "New Museum" on the print (in German language). The reverse side of the engraving is a page of the "Illustrierte Zeitung" of March 22nd 1856. It would look even more beautiful when framed in a simple frame.

When the Zwinger was completed in 1728, its northern side towards the Theater Square and the river was left open in order to allow for further enlargements. In 1838, the architect Gottfried Semper was asked to design an appropriate architectural setting for the painting collection of the royal court. It was not until 1846 that it was decided to close the northern side of the Zwinger courtyard by placing the gallery building there and so creating a gallery wing of the Zwinger. The building, later named the Semper Gallery, was constructed from 1847 until 1854. It is reminiscent of the Italian Palazzi of the Renaissance. In 1855, the interior was completed. Unlike the former buildings that housed the painting collection, the interior of the Semper Gallery could be heated and therefore could remain open throughout the year. In 1855 the collection was moved into the Semper Gallery, which opened as the New Royal Museum (Neues Königliches Museum).

Published : Leipzig, Germany 1856

Size : circa 10 3/4 x 15 1/4 inches

Condition: Very good condition with nice color and light tanning giving it a vintage look.

Please feel free to ask any questions.

Item ID: a501

1856 Original Print of the Semper Gallery in Dresden - Antique Steel Engraving of the Old Masters Picture Gallery of the Zwinger

$179 $109 USD SALE

Add to Cart
Questions about this item?
Email Shop

14 other shoppers have this item in their Cart or Wish List


Vianova


Sebastian Vianova
Barcelona
Spain
  

An Eclectic Collection of Antiques and Art + Vintage and Antique Fashion and Jewelry

Lots of Items on Sale - Please feel free to ask any questions

Exclusive Ruby Lane Member since 2015

Shipping & Handling:Free
Insurance:$21.00 USD
Shipping to: USA
change

More from Vianova