These exquisite creations were for holding smelling salts or a similar astringent concoction to ward away the odours from Georgian streets. Silversmiths cottoned on to the idea and introduced a variety of luxurious versions. This one is from J Lawrence and is in silver with silver gilt internal "furniture". It bears a Birmingham hallmark from 1830. It measures 1 3/4" by 3/4" and has a depth of 3/8". An oblong cartouche bears the initials SM. Apart from the re-attachment of the ring this small piece is in original condition. Worldwide insured air shipping included in listed price. No extra to pay.