This large unsilvered glass Christmas ornament is from the 1940s World War II era, patriotically decorated with transparent red and blue and painted white stripes. During the war, silver nitrate was needed for military use, so manufacturers made do with unsilvered decoration for the 1942 through 1945 Christmas seasons. Soon the supply of metal ornament caps was exhausted and there was no metal for making more, so paper and cardboard caps had to be used.
Larger than most war ornaments, the ornament is 3 inches diameter by about 3-3/4 inches high and it has the scarce paper cap with string hanger. A little sprig of blue and silver tinsel is inside, though many of the blue cellophane strands have fallen off over the years. There are no chips or breaks. It looks like a bit of the glue used to secure the cap dripped down into the stripes on one side, giving the appearance of a scratch.