Dining Room, Searsport House (written on back of mount in old script ink). Original prints by unknown photographer. The wait-staff stand ready to serve the gentleman seated near the window. Originally built as a private residence in 1831, and then converted into a hotel in 1835, the Searsport House was rated as one of the finest small community hotels by the Industrial Journal magazine in their December 1909 issue. By 1873 the structure had been raised so that a new first floor could be added under it, and a large stable and carriage house had been built beside it. The original building burned in 1892, but was rebuilt in 1894 with 30 guest rooms. During the summer months the Searsport House was a favorite with tourists and summer boarders. Amenities included pure spring water from an artesian well, numerous activities including boating, bathing, fishing, driving, and salt water baths, plus a fine dining room. The hotel fell into disrepair during the mid-20th century and it was razed in 1943. This circa 1870s image shows the hotel dining room as it looked in the original hotel. About Exc to Exc+ condition. Vslt dirty or foxing, vslt edgewear, rich tones.
Alternative search terms: ["Stereograph","Stereographs","Stereo View","Stereo Views","Stereo Card","Stereo Cards","Stereo Image","Stereo Images","3D View","3D Views","3D Card","3D Cards","3D Image","3D Images","3D Photo","3D Photos","3D Photograph","3D Photographs"]