A Swiss Farmhouse , painted in the Canton of Jura ( north west Switzerland , bordering France ).
Watercolour on paper
Signed ( L. Buvelot - he did not like his first name ) and dated, 1857, lower left ( on a piece of wooden fencing ).
Size of the watercolour itself : height : 22cm. ( 8 21/32" ) width : 28.5cm. (11 7/32" ).
Condition : excellent.
This picture has the hall mark of a great artist considering his young age when he painted it. It is a quality painting.
Abram-Louis Buvelot (1814-1888), landscape painter, was born on 3 March 1814 at Morges, Vaud, Switzerland, the second son of François-Simeon (d.1848), a minor public official, and Jeanne-Louise-Marguerite, née Heizer (d.1856). He is believed to have left Switzerland in 1834 and to have spent some months in Paris before going in 1835 to Bahia, Brazil, where his uncle François Buvelot (b.1777) had a coffee plantation in Leopoldina in 1825-42.
In October 1840 Abram-Louis went to Rio de Janeiro, registering his profession as 'artist'. In December 1840 the Rio Academy of Fine Arts held its third public exhibition; Buvelot contributed two landscape paintings which were highly commended. He contributed a small number of landscapes to the academy's exhibitions each year, except in 1842, 1845 and 1851, until his return to Europe in 1852. After the exhibition of 1842 he was awarded a gold medal, and after the 1846 exhibition he was created a knight of the Order of the Rose.
In August 1855 Buvelot was back in Switzerland to take up the appointment of drawing-master at a new experimental industrial school at La Chaux-de-Fonds, Neuchâtel. There he remained with his wife and daughter until September 1864. In 1855-64 he contributed landscapes to the exhibitions organized by the Neuchâtel Société des Amis des Arts; in 1856 he showed a landscape painting at the Berne general exhibition. In 1864 he served on the committee which succeeded in establishing a Fine Arts Museum at La Chaux-de-Fonds.
In September 1864 Buvelot left his family in La Chaux-de-Fonds and two months later sailed for Victoria from Liverpool . On arriving in Melbourne in February 1865 Buvelot bought a photographer's studio at 92 Bourke Street East and took portraits for a year. In 1866 he moved to 88 La Trobe Street East and resumed his painting .Buvelot contributed landscapes to various international, intercolonial and Victorian exhibitions from 1866 until 1882. His work was always well received and by 1869 his reputation in Melbourne as the colony's leading landscape artist was established. He served on the committee of the Victorian Academy of Arts in 1870-74 and also exhibited with this group.
In 1884, afflicted with failing eyesight and crippled hands, he gave up painting altogether. He died on 30 May 1888 and was buried in the Kew cemetery, where a memorial was erected by public subscription. In 1894 the Grosvenor gallery of the National Gallery of Victoria was renamed the Buvelot gallery in his honour.
Buvelot was equally skilled in oils and water-colour.
Buvelot, A. L. ( 1814 - 1888 ), Swiss/Australian, 1857 watercolour on paper.