A extremely attractive 19th century ruby red double lay down scent bottle made by Leuchars of Piccadilly, London. Leuchars was a renowned London retailer of luxury goods in the 1800s. The crystal glass with an elongated diamond design. Both tops , although not hallmarked, tested positively for silver. Leuchars would have commissioned very reputable silversmiths to make the parts for them. This is not so unusual for Leuchars items as I presume that they considered that the Royal Warrant and their name was evidence enough as to the piece's quality. Please see below for an interesting brief description of Leuchars. Some gilt has also been incorporated into the tops. This piece was probably made prior to 1847 as when William Leuchar took over the sole responsibility of running the business he marked the pieces as W. Leuchar.
Size : 12.5 cm ( 4 59/64" ) long and 3 cm. ( 1 3/16" ) wide. Weight : 102g.
Condition : very good - note: one tiny flea bite ( see last photograph ) and one tiny scratch to one of the tops. Both are really insignificant.
Leuchars was established at 47 Piccadilly, London in 1794 by James Leuchars. In 1820, the business moved to 38 Piccadilly shortly before James Leuchars died in 1822.
Lucy Leuchars, James’ widow, continued the business under the name of L. Leuchars. In 1837, the same year as Queen Victoria came to the throne, the firm was awarded the Royal Warrant for their supply of dressing cases to the royal family.
Expanding to 39 Piccadilly in 1841, the name had now changed to Lucy Leuchars & Son; the ‘Son’ referring to William Leuchars. After Lucy’s death in 1847, William gained sole responsibility for the business. Leuchars exhibited and won prize medals for his dressing cases at the Great Exhibition of 1851 and the International Exhibition of 1862, winning a further silver medal at the International Exposition of 1867 in Paris.
In 1870, under the name of Leuchars & Son, William Leuchars along with his son, also called William, opened a further shop at 2 Rue de la Paix in Paris. When William Sr died in 1871, William Jr took control of the business, later winning a gold medal for their dressing cases at the International Exposition of 1878 in Paris.
In 1884, Leuchars moved their existing manufactory from 31 Gerrard Street, Soho, London to 8 Sherwood Street, Golden Square, London.
William Jr finally agreed to sell the business, along with their Sherwood Street manufactory, to Asprey in 1888. Leuchars continued to trade from their 38 & 39 Piccadilly address until 1902.
Antique ,19th century, Leuchars ( later Asprey ) double, lay down ruby red crystal scent bottle.