A very pretty antique ( Edwardian - England - 1903 ) sterling silver pin cushion in the form of a lady's shoe. Delightfully made ( tied with a pretty bow ) as always when made by Adie & Lovekin of Birmingham - a maker renowned for novelty quality silver pin cushions .
The company manufactured a wide range of silver fancy goods at the end of the 19th century and had a factory in Regent Street, Hockley, Birmingham. In 1894 they commissioned Mansell & Mansell to design a new factory at 23, Frederick Street, Birmingham which became known as 'Trafalgar Works'.
The firm entered various hallmarks at Birmingham Assay Office (1879, 1902, 1906) and Chester Assay Office (1883, 1909). The Chester 1913 hallmark was entered by Alfred Lovekin, Frederick Simmons and George Deeby (Alfred Lovekin was the director).
Adie & Lovekin Ltd were leading Birmingham producers of sewing items, scissors, button hooks, pin cushions, babies rattles, bookmarks, nurses buckles and other novelty silver items; their speciality being animal shaped pin cushions in the form of pigs, swans, elephants and even camels. The company also made a limited number of shoe pin cushions.
Size : L. 8 cm. ( 3.1 " ) x B. 2.5 cm. ( 0.98 " ) x H. 3.2 cm. ( 1.26" ).
Weight : 31g. ( 1 ounce ).
Condition: very good - the material has a few wrinkles - aged but in very good condition.