Lafayette Hughes Mansion (41 Polo Club Circle, Denver, Colorado, 1925-c. 2000). Architects: Fisher and Fisher (Denver, CO, 1892)
41 Polo Club Circle, Denver, Colorado
Built 1925, demolished c. 2000
The exclusive Polo Grounds neighbourhood of Denver derives its name from the Denver Country Club's polo team, who formed in 1909. In 1920, Lafayette Hughes, Lawrence Phipps and Albert Humphreys incorporated the Polo Club. The three men purchased property and constructed the new Polo Club on 160 acres.
Oil baron Lafayette Hughes built the first house built on the Polo grounds at 41 Polo Club Circle. This grand 36-room, Mediterranean-style mansion was fitted with the finest stone and wood carvings and wrought iron, many of which were imported from England. Fortunately many of the architectural elements were salvaged before the building was demolished. During the 1920s and 1930s other notable homes were built in the area such as Lawrence Phipp's Belcaro Mansion.
Width 13 Depth 12.5 Height 21 in.
Centuries of Design, Antiques from around the World