This is an exceptional standing reliquary which is adorned with more than 100 bezel set glass stones. It originates from the south of France and dates towards 1880.
Every inch of this precious religious reliquary is jeweled and gilded. The base is formed by three curved bands which form a clover shape. Large and small arabesques fill each clover leaf which is embellished with one large faceted green glass stone and thee small clear stones. Three double "C" 's support a small globe which has engraved stars. There is a half globe above this which is bezel set with ruby glass stones. Another small gilded brass globe set with stars is stacked with a small globe to support the rosette shape of the reliquary. Each petal of the rosette is filled by gilded brass arabesques and set with one large green glass stone. Surrounding the inner petals is a continuing row of bezel set ruby glass stones. A fine brass band finishes the design. The central window is of glass at the front with green silk fabric and a central gilded brass frame. There is a gilded brass "door" at the back.
It measures: 9" tall, 3 1/2" in diameter at the base, 4 1/2" in diameter across the rosette, 1 1/2" in diameter at the glass window, 3 1/2" deep at the base. It is in very good antique condition with bright gilt patina, no chips or cracks to the glass, no noted missing stones. It stands sturdy and solid on the table top.
It is an exceptionally beautiful piece of religious art and history from nineteenth century France.