Antique Atkin Bros, Joseph Law Silversmith’s and Wedgwood blue jasperware biscuit barrel with separate detached reticulated base.
The lid has a hinged attachment.
Beautifully intricate silver work.
Atkins Brothers business traces his origin to Thomas Law, a silversmith active in Sheffield from c. 1750 to 1775. He was one of the only two firms combining the trades of cutlers and general silversmiths.
The business was continued by his sons John and William, and later by Joseph Law (probably the son of John, as in an 1830 directory he is quoted as "Joseph Law, late John Law & Son").
In 1824 was entered the mark of Jos. Law, Jn Oxley & Henry Atkin (oddly the mark was "LL", possibly for Law & Law) and in 1829 Henry Atkin and John Oxley, trading as Atkin, Oxley & Co, succeeded to the original firm. They dissolved their partnership c. 1840.
Henry Atkin continued the trade as Henry Atkin & Co at 32 Howard Street, Sheffield.
He died in 1853, and his sons Harry Wright Atkin, Edward Thomas Atkin and Frank Shaw Atkin continued the trade under the style Atkin Brothers in their Truro Works, Matilda Street, Sheffield.
The silverplate is marked with the “AB” for Atkin Bros and the “JL” for Joseph Law.
15 other shoppers have this item in their Cart or Wish List
Fine Antique Porcelain, Glass and Collectibles